Your privacy is critically important to us. At Exim Labs, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your account is shared (or kept private) and permanently deleted.
- We help protect you from overreaching government demands for your personal information.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide a real-time cloud-based camera log or to make Pocket AC better. We collect information in two ways: if and when you provide information to us and automatically through using Pocket AC. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a Pocket AC account to provide a name and email address–and that’s it.
Content Information: You may also provide us with information about your film productions if you use the camera log. This information may be shared with anyone you choose to share it with within Pocket AC.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect anonymous information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information.
- Usage Information: We also collect anonymous information about what happens when you use Pocket AC (e.g., page views) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, name of cellular network, and mobile device manufacturer). We use this information to, for example, provide our services to you, as well as get insights on how people use Pocket AC, so we can make Pocket AC better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people user Pocket AC from certain geographic regions. We may also collect information about your precise location via the Solar Elevation Calculator if you allow us to do so through your mobile device operating system’s permissions. The information about a device’s precise location is never collected outside of the device..
- Stored Information: We may access information stored on your mobile device via our mobile app. We access this stored information through your device operating system’s permissions. For example, camera logs may be exported to be stored on your mobile device. Pocket AC only accesses files in the Pocket AC folder on the mobile device and only if given your operating system’s permissions.
How And Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To backup and restore your Pocket AC camera log
- To further develop and improve Pocket AC–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to user Pocket AC more efficiently;
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with Pocket AC, which helps us improve our services and make them easier to use;
- To monitor and prevent any problems with Pocket AC, protect the security of Pocket AC, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of Exim Labs and others, which may result in us declining the use of Pocket AC;
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that: (1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under our Terms of Service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account; or (2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or (3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or (4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information–for example, to provide and update Pocket AC, to improve Pocket AC so that we can offer you an even better user experience, to safeguard Pocket AC, to communicate with you, and better understand user retention and attrition, and to monitor and prevent any problems with Pocket AC; or (5) You have given us your consent–for example before we collect information from you and access and analyze them later on.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Legal Requests: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- To Protect Rights, Property, and Others: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Exim Labs, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay
- Aggregated or De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of Pocket AC.
Information Shared With Other Users
Information that you choose to share with other users, such as collaborating on a Pocket AC camera log, will be shared with those users. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it–which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information–and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we keep the web server logs that record information about a visitor to one of Exim Labs’ websites, such as the visitor’s IP address, browser type, and operating system, for approximately 30 days. Pocket AC mobile application analytics are kept for approximately 30 days. We retain the logs for this period of time in order to, among other things, analyze traffic to Exim Labs’ websites and mobile applications and investigate issues if something goes wrong on one of our websites or mobile applications. Crash reports from Pocket AC are stored for approximately 90 days to help us investigate and fix bugs in the mobile application.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring Pocket AC for potential vulnerabilities and attacks.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
- Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information or profile information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of Pocket AC may not be accessible.
- Limit Access to Information On Your Mobile Device: Your mobile device operating system should provide you with the ability to discontinue our ability to collect stored information or location information via our mobile apps. If you do so, you may not be able to use certain features (like using your current location for the Solar Elevation Calculator).
- Opt-Out of Automatic Usage and Crash Reports: You may opt out of automatically sending mobile application statistics or mobile application crash reports in Pocket AC’s settings.
- Close Your Account: While we’d be very sad to see you go, if you no longer want to use Pocket AC, you can contact us. Please keep in mind that we may continue to retain your information after closing your account, as described in How Long We Keep Information above–for example, when that information is reasonably needed to comply with (or demonstrate our compliance with) legal obligations such as law enforcement requests, or reasonably needed for our legitimate business interests.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You may email us at email@example.com to access, correct, or delete your personal data. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.
How to Reach Us
Other Things You Should Know (Keep Reading!)
- In the case of US based entities, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them, or ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield; or
- In the case of entities based in other countries outside the EEA, entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with them.
You can ask us for more information about the steps we take to protect your personal information when transferring it from the EU.